10 Lessons Learned : Zappos[dot]com Family Culture
1. Deliver WOW through service
WOW is such a short, simple word, but it really encompasses a lot of things. To WOW, you must differentiate yourself, which means doing something a little unconventional and innovative. You must do something that’s above and beyond what’s expected. And whatever you do must have an emotional impact on the receiver.
2. Embrace and Drive Change
We must all learn not only to not fear change, but to also embrace it enthusiastically, and perhaps even more importantly, to encourage and drive it. We must always plan for and be prepared for constant change.
3. Create Fun and A Little Weirdness
– don’t become one of those big companies that feels corporate and boring
– have a unique and memorable personality
– celebrate and embrace our diversity and each person’s individuality
– encourages people to think outside the box and be more innovative
– make sure everyone is also having fun at work
4. Be Adventurous, Creative, and Open-Minded
– encourage people to make mistakes as long as they learn from them
– seek adventure and having fun exploring new possibilities
– freedom to be creative in solutions
5. Pursue Growth and Learning
It’s important to constantly challenge and stretch yourself and not be stuck in a job where you don’t feel like you are growing or learning.
6. Build Open and Honest Relationships With Communication
Build strong relationships in all areas: with managers, direct reports, customers (internal and external), vendors, business partners, team members, and co-workers. In any relationship, it’s important to be a good listener as well as a good communicator.
Open, honest communication is the best foundation for any relationship, but remember that at the end of the day it’s not what you say or what you do, but how you make people feel that matters the most. In order for someone to feel good about a relationship, he/she must know that the other person truly cares about them, both personally and professionally. And embrace diversity in thoughts, opinions, and backgrounds.
7. Build a Positive Team and Family Spirit
– create an environment that is friendly, warm, and exciting
– encourage diversity in ideas, opinions, and points of view
– the best ideas and decisions are made from the bottom up
– the best leaders are servant-leaders : role of a manager is to remove obstacles
and enable his/her direct reports to succeed
– team members have a positive influence on one another and everyone they
– watch out for each other, care for each other, and go above and beyond for
each other, believe in each other and trust each other
8. Do More With Less
– believe in working hard and putting in the extra effort to get things done
– there is always room for improvement in everything
– more efficient, always trying to figure out how to do something better
– use mistakes as learning opportunities
– never settle for “good enough” because good is the enemy of great
– set and exceed your own high standards
9. Be Passionate and Determined
Do value passion, determination, perseverance, and the sense of urgency. Passion and determination are contagious. Be positive and optimistic (but realistic) attitude about everything
10. Be Humble
You should always be respectful of everyone. You may not be arrogant nor do you treat others differently from how you would want to be treated. Carry yourself with a quiet confidence because in the long run, your character will speak for itself.
P.S. : the whole posting refers to Zappos.com